The haori is a Japanese jacket that is traditionally worn over a kimono. It was a Japanese jacket reserved for the samurai elite. This ancient garment was also worn by geisha who wanted to have a distinguished style.
Nowadays the Haori is worn as a kimono shirt, with shorts. But the kimono jacket can also be worn with a T-shirt in spring...
Today, this Japanese outfit is worn like a light coat! You can put on a kimono jacket with a pair of Geta or Zori sandals (traditional wooden sandals) during a Matsuri festival during a picnic or to go to the beach! The Haori jacket is fluid and light. It is a garment that is both traditional and trendy to have in a dressing room, a wardrobe or a men's wardrobe!
How to wear a men's kimono jacket?
The fabric of our Japanese men's jackets is lightweight with a straight cut so that they can be worn by all body types and figures. In this collection for men and women, we offer you several types of materials: satin, viscose, linen, polyester, cotton, and synthetic. The styles are also different depending on the model with short sleeve jackets or long sleeves.
To have a pure style with Japanese Haori, there are several small rules that you can follow. In this tutorial, we help you choose the best timeless jacket there is.
Keep your men's kimono jacket open to give a loose style to your Japanese outfit. If the printed symbol on your jacket is important, wear it with a crew neck t-shirt and a solid color, light or dark!
To wear this Japanese jacket with a streetwear and sportswear style, put on a hoodie or a fine-knit Japanese sweater over it. Do not hesitate to wear your Japanese clothes in an oversized cut for a hip-hop style. The haori streetwear jacket is all the rage for all fans of the Harajuku style.
However, if you want a more traditional outfit that cares about Japanese authenticity, we recommend our collection of Japanese kimono for men.
2. How to have a trendy Japanese style?
To adopt a Japanese style worthy of the Harajuku district, do not hesitate to mix styles but you also need to know the meaning of the patterns printed on the fabric of these men's clothing!
Below are the meanings of the most iconic Japanese symbols:
- Hannya Kimono: she is a demon of revenge that is very popular within Japanese culture. This demon oni is also represented in the world of the arts such as theater and Shinto ceremonial dances. Hannya's design is also used in the traditional tattoo art called Irezumi
- Oni kimono: Oni are Japanese demons. They are often red with sharp horns and teeth. It's the equivalent of our French ogres! An Oni kimono for men is a way to express resentment like passion, revenge, and even destructive love!
- Dragon kimono: the dragon symbol on men's clothing is a sign of wisdom and power
- Kimono carp: just like the Maneki neko (Japanese cat), the carp is often used for the depth of its meaning. This Japanese fish is known throughout the Land of the Rising Sun for its courage and strength. Members of the Yakuza clans proudly wear it as a tattoo on a part of their body
- Tsuru kimono: the Japanese crane is a legendary bird in Japanese mythology. The printed Tsuru pattern represents longevity and peace
- Sakura Kimono: the Sakura pattern is mixed with all types of colors or symbols. During the Hanami summer festival, we celebrate the beauty of these little white flowers
3. When to wear a male Haori?
The traditional male Haori is worn in Japan in two ways. The first is formal.
It is put over a kimono during a wedding, during a tea ceremony, or for any type of formal event. We, therefore, recommend that you choose a black Japanese jacket without a pattern for a sober, dark, refined, and Wabi Sabi style. The Japanese only add embroidery on the front of the jacket with the effigy of their family.
The second way to wear the Japanese Haori jacket is informal and in everyday life. You should know that wearing a formal kimono is subject to a certain number of codes and rules. Fashion has thus appropriated kimono clothing to mix it with our Western clothing.
Here are the different times when we recommend wearing it for a casual style.
For a formal outfit at a party, put on a printed jacket with a simple pattern. Prefer a mid-length Haori without tying him with a Japanese obi belt.
The Japanese Haori jacket is soft to the touch so you can put it on when you get out of the shower. It is a Japanese tradition to wear a kimono yukata after enjoying the heat of the public baths (onsen). Japanese jackets are just as comfortable as Yukata clothes. In this case, we recommend a long jacket to cover more of your body!
Wear a modern Haori to work You can afford more madness on Fridays in honor of Friday Wear so go for a colorful and casual kawaii style.
Any occasion is good to put on this timeless jacket. It can be worn during the mid-season but also during winter. It will really depend on the choice of your style! For a casual Japanese outfit, the last piece of advice we can give you is to wear it with raw jeans, blue jeans, or even slim jeans with this type of clothing!
We've seen the 3 main categories of the best tips for wearing a kimono jacket for men so now we wish you a happy shopping at our Japanese online store!